Welcome to Dialogue This Week.
In this corner we invite guests from in and out of Korea to talk about a wide variety of issues ranging from culture and sports, to the latest trends around the world.
Today, like many of you may have guessed by the color of my attire, we are going to talk about Korean boyband BTS's latest achievements.
Just earlier this week, BTS managed to grab three awards at the American Music Awards, including Artist of the Year.
They have become the first Asian act to not only be nominated for the grand prize but also to take home the prize.
More excitement is underway as the group was also once again nominated for the Best Pop Duo/Group performance at the 2022 Grammy Awards.
To delve deeper into the K-pop history-makers' achievements we are joined by Thomas Sommer, CFO and Co-Founder of SG Entertainment via Skype.
Good morning Mr. Sommer, great to have you on our show.
And also to give us an insider's view from BTS fans all over the world, we are also joined by Marie Vizuete, Secretary of the U.S. BTS ARMY.
1. (MARIE) Marie, as I've mentioned, BTS achieved another landmark feat by bringing home three trophies from this year's AMAs.
Along the way, ARMY has really solidified support for BTS around the world.
As an ARMY member yourself, what are your reactions to this achievement, and what do you personally think has made it possible for BTS to make such history (and not for the first time) in the music industry?
2. (MARIE) Wow, I could totally feel how proud you are of them
Now Marie, BTS has collaborated with many artists, like Ed Sheeran, Nicki Minaj and Fall Out Boy And of course the latest with Coldplay for "My Universe" it was the first time that the two hitmakers had ever performed the song in the same space together. What significance does this have?
3. (THOMAS) Now let's turn to Mr. Sommer, the return of offline concerts, and on such a grand platform
Do you think its time for the music industry to get ready for a post-COVID performance era now?
Are there any significant matters that you expect to change for K-pop idols post-COVID?
4. (THOMAS) Now, BTS isn't THE ONLY Korean idol group that's gaining world recognition.
But as someone involved in the industry, what is it about BTS that really differentiates them in terms of making history in the industry? What makes them so "magical"?
5. (MARIE) Now back to Marie, this week, the Grammys released the results from the first round of voting where BTS secured the nomination for best pop duo/group performance.
"Butter" has been nominated alongside Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga's "I Get a Kick Out of You," Justin Bieber and Benny Blanco's "Lonely," Coldplay's "Higher Power" and Doja Cat and SZA's "Kiss Me More."
This is the second year in a row that BTS has been nominated for this title last year the title ended up going to Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande's "Rain on Me" How do you feel about this and do you think BTS can take home the win this time?
6. (MARIE) But BTS has only received this one nomination for the 2022 Grammy Awards despite having a rather blockbuster year.
"Butter" spent a whopping 10 weeks at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart "Permission to Dance" peaked at No. 1, as their collaboration track "My Universe" did as well.
Were there other categories you expected BTS to be nominated for?
7. (THOMAS) What about you Mr. Sommers? How likely is it that BTS can bring home a Grammy this year? Are there any industry politics we need to look out for here?
8. (MARIE) Marie, since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, BTS has really made efforts to keep up hope for fans around the world.
This weekend, BTS is set to kick off the first of four highly anticipated live concerts their first offline concert in almost 2 years. Will you be going to any of the concerts? how do you feel? what are you most excited about?
9. (THOMAS) And finally, Mr. Sommers, SG Entertainment produces K-pop idols How does the success of BTS pave the road for some, while perhaps pose any challenges for aspiring idols?
We will all be looking forward to more K-pop acts that could follow the path of BTS, but I'm afraid we will have to wrap up it up at this point.
Thank you so much Marie and Thomas, we appreciate your time and contribution.