Other Stories

Full Video

S. Korea criticizes N. Korea for killing official who crossed border Updated: 2020-09-25 06:53:30 KST

We start with the latest body-blow to inter-Korean relations.
South Korea's military confirmed Thursday that a South Korean government official who went missing earlier this week was shot dead by North Korean troops and his body was set on fire.
Evidence suggests the official was attempting to defect across the maritime border, but we are still awaiting confirmation.
Kim Ji-yeon reports.
The South Korean military confirmed that an official affiliated with the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries had gone missing south of Yeonpyeong-do Island off the country's west coast.
The 47-year-old man disappeared on Monday while aboard a patrol boat at the southern part of the Northern Limit Line, the de facto inter-Korean maritime border.
A South Korean military official said North Korean soldiers had put on protective gear and questioned the man from a distance upon his arrival.
Then on late Tuesday, North Korean soldiers shot the man and used gasoline to burn his body.
His remains are yet to be found.
The South Korean military sent a statement to North Korea on Wednesday afternoon through the United Nations Command communication line, asking for an explanation but the regime is yet to respond.
"Upon close analysis of the related information, our military has confirmed that North Korea has committed a brutal act by shooting dead and burning the body of a South Korean national who was found in the North's waters. The South Korean military strongly condemns North Korea's brutality and demands an explanation from the North, and the person in charge to be punished."
An official from the South Korean military said the incident was not accidental and had been ordered by those higher up in the North Korean chain of command.
The same official raised the possibility the regime may have imposed a shoot-to-kill order along the inter-Korean border to prevent the possible spread of COVID-19.
"The motive or circumstances behind the man's crossing are being investigated by South Korean police. But, the military confirmed the man left his shoes behind, was wearing a life jacket and had items floating with him while crossing.
Kim Ji-yeon, Arirang News."
KOGL : Korea Open Government License
본 저작물 중 본문에 해당하는 뉴스 스크립트(텍스트)는 공공누리 제1유형-출처표시 조건에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.