Other Stories

Full Video

S. Korea's defense minister says Seoul has capability to precisely strike N. Korea Updated: 2022-04-01 14:56:26 KST

South Korea's defense minister Suh Wook on Friday issued a public warning to North Korea that Seoul has the capability to precisely strike the regime.
Suh made the comments on Friday at an event marking the reinforcement of the country's Army Missile Strategic Command, where he ordered troops to maintain a firm defense posture.

"In particular, if North Korea shows obvious signs of a missile launch, we have the capability to accurately target its launch point, command and support facilities."

This kind of targeting strategy involves a preemptive strike system called the "Kill Chain."
It also involves what's called the "Korea Massive Punishment and Retaliation," or "KMPR" aimed at launching attacks directly at the North Korean leadership.
It is something that was introduced in the past when the conservative party was taking power in 2016, so it's very unusual for the government under the Moon administration to publicly mention it.
The defense minister also said on Friday that South Korea will continue to develop various types of ballistic missiles with a longer range, higher accuracy and more power to counter threats.
Meanwhile, 38 North a web journal run by a U.S.-based think tank said Thursday local time that a commercial satellite image shows "increased activity" around the North's Sohae Satellite Launching Station.
It said this included the arrival of new materials to the launch pad and vehicles in the VIP area.
But said it's unclear whether these activities are related to the overall improvement plan, or are measures in preparation for a satellite launch in the near future.
The regime's leader Kim Jong-un had earlier visited the site on March 11th, and ordered an expansion as part of efforts to launch spy satellites which uses the same technology to launch ICBMs.
Also, on Thursday U.S. local time, CNN reported that Washington and its allies believe Pyeongyang is beginning to make preparations for a possible underground nuclear test for the first time since 2017.
Citing five unnamed U.S. officials, it reported that North Korea has recently resumed digging tunnels and construction activities at its underground nuclear test site.
But the sources said it is not yet clear how soon the regime would be capable of testing a device at the site, as it depends on the pace of the activity.
Bae Eun-ji, Arirang News.
KOGL : Korea Open Government License
본 저작물 중 본문에 해당하는 뉴스 스크립트(텍스트)는 공공누리 제1유형-출처표시 조건에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.
weather