U.S. State Department says Washington remains open to engage with N. Korea
Updated: 2021-10-13 12:21:26 KST
Washington once again stressed that it remains open to dialogue with Pyeongyang, adding that the U.S. harbors no hostile intent towards North Korea.
Responding to a written inquiry from Seoul-based Yonhap News Agency, a spokesperson from the U.S. State Department explained Washington is prepared to meet with the North without any preconditions, to engage in serious and sustained diplomacy.
The official said the U.S. hopes the regime will respond positively to its outreach.
Explaining that Washington's ultimate goal is to keep American people and its allies safe, the official added that the regime's nuclear ballistic missile programs continue to pose a threat to the U.S. and its allies.
The remarks come after the North's leader Kim Jong-un reiterated that the U.S. has a hostile policy against the regime, while addressing a defense development exhibition held Monday.
Kim also claimed that the regime's enemy is neither South Korea or the U.S., calling for the need to further advance its military capabilities in order to be strong.
Washington has continued to maintain the same stance when responding to North Korea's series of short-range missile tests last month.
Pyeongyang, however, remains unresponsive to America's outreach.
Kim Hyo-sun, Arirang News.